Craftsmen on the river
 

 The Velíšek´s mill on the Malše river

Attractive route for walking or cycling.
Between the Upper Austrian town, Freistadt, and the South Bohemian town Kaplice, has been gradually built up a cycling - tourist route which aquainted us with the history of craftsmanship on the Feldaist and Malše rivers that does not exist today. This route is marked by the sign of the mill wheel. For the present time it is necessary to use the border crossing at Dolní Dvořiště.

There were some written recordings about the existence of water works on the Malše River from the 18th century. In the 1930’s on the Malše river, between the settlement Cetviny and the former castle Pořešín, there were 13 mills, 5 hammer - mills and 1 factory which produced threads with its own hydro-power station. After WW II handicrafts on the river stopped production. Some well-preserved mill-races and weirs are used for driving of small hydro-power stations.

The starting point is the parish church in Cetviny which was founded in the year 1384. Along the building of the former custom-house we will get to the ruins of the two hammer-mills and the mill. Across the meadow, woods and road there are plenty of views to the valley and panorama of the Novohradské Mountains. We will reach the ruins of the former stronghold, Tichá, from the beginning of the 14th century. Then we will go on the road (red tourist mark) to Svatý Kámen, the important pilgrimage church, which was built above two well-known stones. From Svatý Kámen we will go on the road to Rychnov-upon-Malše where thechurch of St. Andrew is built in late Gothic style from the 16th century. From Rychnov we will go to the Malše river again (blue tourist mark) and on the left bank we will reach the ruins of the castle Louzek from the 13th century which protected the trade route.

The stone dam from the beginning of the 20th century on the Černá river

We will go on the path along the bank to the settlement, Ješkov, and we will walk across the bridge at the former mill to the right bank. Then we will reach an old Theresian hammer-mill on Květoňov brook. The next stop will be the chateau Schötter, where a thread factory with its own hydro-power station was in the past. Today there is a hotel.

Then we will go on the road with views to the hills Kleť, Poluška and Kohout in the Hen Mountains to Kaplice to the parish church of St. Peter and Paul from the 18th century. By the side of it there is the church of St. Florian. It was built on the Roman foundations of the chapel, which gave its name to Kaplice (i. e. little chapel). In the square, not far from the church, there is the town hall from the 16th century (rebuilt in 1852) and the ancient fountain from the 17th century.

The Schrötter chateau - the part of the former textile factory with its own hydro - power station



© Sdružení Oficiálního informačního systému Český Krumlov, 1999
Number of visitors this page since 30th July 1999 : TOPlist 0

Česká verzeDeutsche fassung