A Guide to the Memorials of Technology Třísov - Dívčí Kámen - Holubov

 

Dear visitors, the administrative body of the Protected Landscape Area Blanský les has prepared a tourist trail for you through the area where the Křemžský creek joins the Vltava (Moldau) river. Since prehistoric times, apart from its natural landmarks, the territory has also been the focus of a number of human activities

Map of the trail with a scale

The trail is nearly 3 km long with 14 stops :

1. Introductory information - Třísov
 

The municipality of Třísov is an interesting settlement with houses arranged in a round pattern, with a small pond in the center of its village green. The first written record of the place dates back to 1389 in reference to the castle Dívčí Kámen. Since the 15th century Třísov was a part of the Český Krumlov dominion.

2a. Celtic oppidum in Třísov
 

One of the remarkable locations of South Bohemia in the prehistoric age was the Celtic oppidum in Třísov. Celts were represented in the Czech territory by the Boyan tribe, and in the 2nd century B.C., created here a relatively well developed society which built fortified settlements of a suburban type, the so called oppida.

 Oppidum Třísov - reconstruction of the tongs-gate

2.b Historical and memorable trees in Blanský les
 

Třísovská lípa (Třísov linden) you are looking at was probably planted in 1777, around the same time as the chapel construction. Today it is 31 m tall, with a perimeter of 7 m (diameter 2.2 m). Some time ago the trunk had grown into the chapel's wall and displaced its foundations, so the chapel had to be moved further away.

3. Western line of the opidum´s fortification and the entrance gate
 

It was the fortification, which played a key role in the function of the oppidum. Due to the natural terrain the strongest line of fortification was built on the western side, where the location was most vulnerable. Today the remains of ramparts can be identified as two, more or less, preserved mounds.

Aerial view of the oppidum and Dívčí Kámen

4. Northern acropolis, objects and life inside the oppidum
 

Northern acropolis was probably the place of a cult. The archaeological research here revealed the ground plan of an octahedral building with a structure made of wooden poles, very likely a sanctuary. The inside of the oppidum complex also hosted craftsmen and their workshops. Everyday life of the local residents may be documented by numerous archaeological findings.

5. Architecture of Celtic Oppida
 

The oldest evidence of some kind of fortified settlements in the current Czech territory come from the early Stone Age. Walled-in small castles appeared probably in the late Bronze Age. The Celtic oppida from the 1st and 2nd centuries B.C., were truly exceptional since they may be considered gatherings of a suburban type. Such settlement structures are comparable only to walled-in castles from the early Middle Ages.

Wiev at the "hadce" rocks in the natural reservation Holubovské hadce  View of the natural preserve Dívčí Kámen

6. Valley of the Vltava River and Křemežský Creek
 

The Vltava river valley is a major, super-regional bio-corridor through which migrate numerous animal and plant species. Consequently, the biodiversity in the valley is higher than that of the surrounding landscape. Although the slopes of the valley are today grown with cultivated forest they still preserve remains of natural communities which reflect the original composition of the woods from the times before the introduction of intensive forest management.

7. Historical Aspects of the Vltava River and Křemežský Creek Valleys
 

The special significance of this location is implied by the combination of natural and historical aspects. The Vltava river is a north-south axis of the Bohemian basin. This fact is reflected by a line of Celtic fortified settlements starting in Linz (Danubian Basin, Austria), extending across the crest of Šumava (Böhmerwald), Třísov and further to the north, and to the monumental oppidum at Závist near Prague.

Dívčí kámen castle ruins, areal photo, foto: Lubor Mrázek

7. Historical Aspects of the Vltava River and Křemežský Creek Valleys
 

The main purpose of the reservation is to preserve a pristine pinewood forest with rare lichen communities (plants made up of an alga and a fungus growing in symbiotic association on a solid surface). The reservation also includes a ruin of the castle Dívčí Kámen (= Maiden Stone). Not far from the protected territory you can find remarkable memorials of technology - a power plant under Dívčí Kámen and another unfinished power plant (Bazikova elektrárna).

9. Fauna and Flora of the Křemežský Creek
 

The Křemežský creek with its inflows forms the backbone of a valley named after the nearby village of Křemže. The valley is a natural habitat for many protected animal and plant species.

10. Castle Dívčí Kámen
 

The rocky rise above the intersection of the Vltava (Moldau) river river and the Křemežský creek has been settled since the pre-historic age. A major walled-in settlement was founded here at the turn of the old and medium Bronze Ages (around 1500 B.C.), probably as an important strategic point in the communication line along the river. The gothic castle was founded in the mid-14th century by the Rosenbergs.

Dívčí Kámen, engraving by Pavlína of Schwarzenberg  The old hammer with  a ruin in background (Zenker´s lithography dated 1846)
11. Utilization of water power on the Křemežským Creek
 

The Křemžský creek is 30 km long, with a catchment area of 126 km2. Twenty water works have been developed on it throughout the centuries, including mills, hammer mills and later power plants. The oldest of them, the Křemežský mill was first documented in the 15th century.

12. Natural preserve Holubovské hadce (Holubov Serpentines)
 

The preserve was declared in 1972 on an area of 15.68 ha to protect the typical serpentine pinewood and other characteristic vegetation growing on the withered rocky outcrops lining the steep slopes of the creek's valley.

13. Adolf´s Ironworks
 

The iron works was founded in 1841 by an outstanding South Bohemian entrepreneur Adalbert Lanna (1805 - 1866) and two other burghers of České Budějovice, F.L. Klavík and Jan Procháska. It was named after the dominion's owner, Adolf Josef of Schwarzenberg. The purpose of the project was to locally produce iron components and parts for the expanding water and traffic construction projects while utilizing the abundant wood from the surrounding forests.

14. Holubov
 

In front of the railway station you can see the original, mostly preserved old part of Holubov with concentric arrangement of houses in the village green enclosed by a line of three farms. The first written record of the village dates back to 1379 when it was a tributary to the dominion of Český Krumlov.

 
Further information :
Křemže
Holubov
Vltava
Blanský Forest Nature Reserve
Adalbert Stifter´s Route
Salt Route



© Sdružení Oficiálního informačního systému Český Krumlov, 2000
Number of visitors this page since 9th May 2000 : TOPlist 0

Česká verzeDeutsche fassung