Borová
 

Borová was founded around the year 1310. The first written statement of Borová (MISTENHOLZ_BOROWA) appeared in the feudal land and duties register belonged to the monastery of Zlatá Koruna in 1445. It is located 2.5 km north of the village of Chvalšiny in the hollow between Kraví vrch, Kněžík and Růžový vrch. The way to the church led around Kněžík towards Chvalšiny. The name Borová is inferred from the word "pine wood" (German name Mistelholz is inferred from the world Mistel = mistletoe). The village is called Mystlholz in the Roll of Assessment dating from 1652, Mistlholz in 1681 and Mistelholz in a book by Johann Sommer "Das Königreich Böhmen" dating from 1841. The name MISTLHOLZ was used until 1945. Settlements of Coalmen of Borova and Mirror Glass Works were included in the village of Borová. In 1939 there were 226 inhabitants and 51 houses in Borová. Hejdlov (Hödlwald) belonged to the settlement of Borová until 1840, and later it was included in the village of Borová. Hejdlov had been founded by peasants from Borová. Kaspar Hödl of Borová was the first settler in Hejdlov (1653). The German name Hödlwald - Hödl im Wald means Hödl in the forest.

Borová - whole valley

In 1787 Borová and Chvalšiny had an argument concerning the forest located in close proximity to Blanský Forest (Beingartel, Ofenberg, Rittersberg, Baumat). Both of them claimed the right to the forest. They had been given the right of use by the House of Rosenberg. The statement acknowledging the right could be seen in the Bohemian Forest Museum of Horní Planá until 1945. The village of Chvalšiny won the cause. People from Borová were very angry. In 1789 Johann Klement, a peasant from Borová, decided to remonstrate with the Emperor against it. He went to Vienna by horse cart. It was a prolonged action. It lasted until 1810. Borová was compensated for the loss. The village of Chvalšiny was given a substantial part of the forest, Borová was given a part called Baumat.

In 1834 a strong storm blew over Borová and house No. 12 (Vögler) was set on fire by a flash of lightning. In 1911 a one-class school was established in Borová.

Professor Anton Klement (1880 - 1964) was the most distinguished man in Borová. He lived in house No. 7 (Hödl). He was engaged in political life, and in 1918 he stood up for the oppressed Germans living in Czechoslovakia.

The house No. 38 in the village Borová, foto : Petr Odložil Chapel on the village green

Prokschy, Rüpaur, Hödl, Wirth, Khotter, Meydl, Maure, Publ, Mattheisel, Reiff, Vögler, Schuster and Traschepaur ranked among the oldest settled peasants in Borová.
Remark: Publ = Buabler = Tschunko

In 1945 Vöglar (approximately 35 hectares), Oiwrit (approximately 34 hectares), Meidl (approximately 32 hectares) and Buabler (approximately 28 hectares) were the best off peasants.

Borová in 1954, panoramic photo

COALMEN OF BOROVA (MISTELHOLZ-KOLLERN): the settlement founded by coalmen (mentioned in 1586). The German name Köhlerhäuser, popularly called "Kulerheiser" (Coalmen Houses). In 1939 there were 41 inhabitants, 14 houses in the settlement.

Borovští Uhlíři - detail

MIRROR GLASS WORKS (SPIEGELHÜTTEN): located 2 km north of the village of Chvalšiny, to the east of Borová, near the road leading to the city of České Budějovice. It used to be the glass works (established 1673-1677). Mirror glass used to be made there. It was closed down in 1708. In 1939 there were only 16 inhabitants and 6 houses in the settlement.
Present Use: Kámen a písek, spol. s r.o.

Borová - Zrcadlová Huť

 

Further information :
Chvalšiny
History of the village Chvalšiny
Church of the Holy Mary Magdalena in Chvalšiny
Important buildings in Chvalšiny
Museum of Schwarzenberk's channel in Chvalšiny
Červený Dvůr Castle
Schwarzenberg Navigational Canal
Josef Rosenauer
Hejdlov
Chvalšiny - Literature



© Sdružení Oficiálního informačního systému Český Krumlov, 2001
Number of visitors this page since 17th August 2001 : TOPlist 0

Česká verzeDeutsche fassung