Buildings of the Regional Museum in Český Krumlov
 


Basic information about museum - Opening times - Entrance fees and discounts

MUSEUM BUILDINGS

Regional Museum, Horní No. 152, Český Krumlov

Regional Museum is situated inside one of the buildings which dominate the historical centre of the town. This mighty building was erected on the hill over Vltava River and creates an impressive counterpoint to the ancient Little Castle (Castle No. 59 - Little Castle) with the round tower (Castle No. 59 - Castle Tower) on the other bank of the river.

It is the first important Baroque object in Český Krumlov which was built in the course of 1650 - 1652 in place of six burgher houses. Other house which were demolished in the near vicinity created a vacant site with flat terrain leaning against the tall stone wall built in 1657. Those premises belonged to Jesuit seminary and later on to the other educational institutions and served for relaxation, learning or sporting activities. (At the present time most of the premises are used as a car park of the hotel Růže).

Regional Museum of National History in Český Krumlov, no. 152     Horní no. 152, Regional Museum of National History, winter setting, foto: Libor Sváček

Early Baroque facade facing the town and three rows of glass arcades on the ground floor and both storeys from Horní street side are the characteristic features of the building. The house was built for needs of the Jesuit order and was used as a seminary. After abolishing of the Jesuit order the building accommodated various types of German schools and soon after 1945 also the Czech schools. Since 1945 the house served as an archive and museum, later only as a museum. In the course of 1970 - 1979 a far-reaching reconstruction was carried out. As successful building remodellings are regarded: the recovery of joist ceilings on the second floor, restoration of Baroque stucco ceilings with ornamental decoration on the first and ground floor or re-opening of Baroque arcades in each storey of the building. The complete absence of any kind of wheelchair access negatively the utilization of the building by physically handicapped people even now. The building is included in the list of historic monuments.

Bohuslav Coufal, view onto Parkán Street in Český Krumlov, drawing 1963     Jesuitical seminary in the front with former seminary chapel on painting of Bohuslav Coufal.

Museum of Adalbert Stifter in Horní Planá

Contact at the Horní Planá Branch
Address :
Památník Adalberta Stiftera
Palackého 21
382 26 Horní Planá

Telephone :
+420 380 738 473

E-mail :
hplana@lipensko.cz

Museum of Adalbert Stifter is situated in the writer's native house. The building represents a small-town one-storeyed house (cottage) with the farming estate. In archival documentation it was mentioned for the first time as early as the beginning of the 17th century. The disposition of the building most probably didn't undergo any changes in the course of years. It was the great fire in 1934 that had a negative effect on the whole building's appearance. Though the house was soon reconstructed and again acquired original appearance the burnt-out farm buildings surrounding the estate (barn with outbuildings) have never been replaced. For many years the estate stayed open and it was not until the building activities in 1995-1996 that it was again enclosed by peripheral walls and acquired the form of atrium. The house is included in the list of state historic monuments.represents a small-town one-storeyed house (cottage) with the farming estate. In archival documentation it was mentioned for the first time as early as the beginning of the 17th century. The disposition of the building most probably didn't undergo any changes in the course of years. It was the great fire in 1934 that had a negative effect on the whole building's appearance. Though the house was soon reconstructed and again acquired original appearance the burnt-out farm buildings surrounding the estate (barn with outbuildings) have never been replaced. For many years the estate stayed open and it was not until the building activities in 1995-1996 that it was again enclosed by peripheral walls and acquired the form of atrium. The house is included in the list of state historic monuments.

Adalbert Stifter, portrait   Birth-home of Adalbert Stifter in Horní Planá, historical photo

The house was the property of Stifter family up till 1910. In November 1910 the building became the property of Horní Planá town. Since the first half of the 20th century the building served as a local library and librarian's flat. After 1945 it was used as a housing unit. In the second half of 1950's the idea of establishing Museum of Adalbert Stifter was put into effect. The house had been vacated and necessary reconstruction and adaptation had been done. The first exposition was carried out by Dr. Hugo Rokyta, the representative of State Heritage and Nature Conservation Authority, and Jan Huleš, the then director of the Český Krumlov museum. The ceremonial opening of Museum of Adalbert Stifter took place on the occasion of 155th Stifter's birthday, on September 23rd, 1960. In the course of the following years the exposition was several times changed, for the last time in 1993.

Birth-home of Adalbert Stifter in Horní Planá     Adalbert Stifter, historical picturepostcard

At the present time the building serves the following purposes :
ground floor (entrance hall with the corridor, three rooms, closet) accommodates standing memorial exposition "Adalbert Stifter and Native Country"
attic (it houses two exhibition rooms) is used for seasonal exhibitions
former farming buildings in the estate (two reconstructed rooms) are available for short exhibitions
atrium is a suitable venue for installation of seasonal exhibitions and cultural activities

Other information :
Regional Museum in Český Krumlov

 



© Sdružení Oficiálního informačního systému Český Krumlov, 1999
Number of visitors to this page since March 1. 1999 : TOPlist 0

Česká verzeDeutsche fassung