History of the Regional Museum in Český Krumlov
Today's museum was re-established in 1946 and thus followed the previous museum activities which were carried out in the town as early as 1891 and crowned with the existence of the German town museum in the course of 1916 - 1938 (For further information regarding the history before 1945 see: Collection and museum activities in the region in the 19th and the first half of the 20th century). After the Second World War the Czech government adopted resolution according to which the National Museum in Prague was put in charge of care and supervision over museums located in the border areas. The activities of National Museum resulted in establishment of preparatory curatorship for the foundation of a new Český Krumlov museum in June 1946. The museum was accommodated in the building No. 152 in Horní street which used to serve educational purposes. In 1952 the first exposition was installed. Since 1954 a group of experts from National Museum in Prague operated in the museum in order to complete collections and prepare new model exposition of a border town. This exposition was opened in 1956 and existed up till 1969. Afterwards, the building was cleared out and prepared for extensive reconstruction. In the course of 1970 - 1979 museum was temporarily accommodated inside the premises of the IInd courtyard of the State Castle Český Krumlov. After the reconstruction of the building in Horní street a new permanent exposition called "Historical Sight of the Český Krumlov Region" has been installed in 1980. Since that time, the ground-floor premises are available for short exhibitions and premises suitable for conferences and lectures, concerts, meetings etc. Every year museum carries out 15 - 18 short exhibitions and 3 exhibitions which last more than one year.
Until 31 December 2002 the District National History and Geography Museum was managed by Czech Republic - District Office of Český Krumlov, since 1 January 2003 the Regional Museum has been passed over to South Bohemia Region possession due to the state administration reform.
Since 1960 museum has been in charge of Museum of Adalbert Stifter in Horní Planá which is situated in the native house of this Austrian writer and painter who lived from 1805 - 1868. In addition to the standing memorial exposition "Adalber Stifter and his Native Country" there are also 2 - 3 short exhibitions carried out during the tourist season.
Objects from the former German town museum in Český Krumlov create the basic fund of museum collections. However, most of the collections are the result of collection and research documentary work of the museum and gradual transfers of collection funds from other places of the region: from the former Šumava Museum in Objects from the former German town museum in Český Krumlov create the basic fund of museum collections. However, most of the collections are the result of collection and research documentary work of the museum and gradual transfers of collection funds from other places of the region: from the former Šumava Museum in Horní Planá, Schwarzenberg collection in the so-called "Roman Chamber" in the Český Krumlov castle, former monastery in
Kájov, former museum in the
Kaplice district in
Rožmberk nad Vltavou and others.
Other information :
Regional Museum in Český Krumlov
© Sdružení Oficiálního informačního systému Český Krumlov, 1999
Number of visitors to this page since March 1. 1999 :