The Baroque Jesuit Pharmacy creates a complete exhibitional entirety and is installed on the visitor route of the Český Krumlov Museum.
It consists of a Pharmacy office collection with Baroque pharmacy furniture as its basic element (pharmacy counters called tares, small storage cabinet, two corner shelves with drawers and shelves). This furniture is decorated by fretwork, coloring, and gilding. 44 larger and 30 smaller drawers on the front side of the shelves display illusive and ornamental paintings and inscriptions (signatures) in Latin. Important parts of the decorations of both shelves are created by paintings of the saints in richly carved and gilded frames with cartouches. Saint John of Nepomuk and Saint Pantalen are portrayed on the oil-paintings. Between the shelves is the ornamental sculpture of Our Lady Immaculate on a remarkable wall pedestal.
The pharmacy collection also contains brass mortars with pestles and wooden bases, pharmacy two-shoulder weights, retorts, ladles and small boilers. Wooden containers of various sizes, apothecaries' bottles and stand-up vessels made from stoneware, porcelain and glass are presented in abundance. A wooden signboard with a painting by František Jakub Prokyš is part of the collection as well.
The oldest part of the pharmacy collection dates from the 17th century and the youngest from the first half of the 19th century. The entire restoration of the Pharmacy furniture was performed from 1977 until 1979.
The Baroque Jesuit Pharmacy has very interesting history. The original location was in the Jesuit College in Horní Street (now the Hotel Růže) as early as 1640. At first it was placed on the floor of the rear section of the building, then from 1665 the new location was on the ground floor on the opposite side of the Main Gate. The Jesuit Order was dissolved in 1773 upon the decision of Emperor Joseph II. Later the aristocrat Schwarzenberg bought the interior Pharmacy equipment for three thousand gold coins, and that is how the Pharmacy ended up in the Český Krumlov Castle, which was its location until the years after World War II. In the 1950's the Pharmacy was handed over to the collections fund of the Český Krumlov Museum.
Further information :
District Museum of National History in Český Krumlov
History of pharmacies in Český Krumlov