Old Tombstones in Český Krumlov
 

Tombstones are considered as the most widespread epigraphic monuments of the past in our environment. Table-tombstones indicating the place of the last rest of particular people help to make a picture of a cultural standard of the society of its time. Tombstones were first used among members of the royal family and church circles, and as time went on they spread among the high aristocracy and from the 16th century they were quite common also among the gentry and wealthy townspeople. From the end of the 16th century they appeared also among the more significant lord's officers. And it was brought off in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Now we find, only in Český Krumlov, 30 old tombstones. An earlier piece of literature and Mareš´s manuscript wrote about another 10 tombstones but unfortunately they have not been found because of many changes of the character of some buildings.

Almost all of the tombstones were moved from their original place to another except for tombstones no. 6 and 7 and probably no. 16.

It is obvious that tombstones have a connection with burial places - with the open air cemeteries as well as with the crypts inside church buildings. Český Krumlov had quite a lot of such places in the past - the crypts in the St. Vitus church, until 1858 a cemetery by this church, the crypts inside the minorite monastery and its cemetery, in 1585 - 1892 also a cemetery by the St. Martin chapel (today's town park). These were the original places of the old tombstones of Český Krumlov. But let us have a look at the buildings inside of which or on which these tombstones are placed today. Seven of them (no. 1 - 7) are in the St. Vitus Church in Český Krumlov The tombstones of Wilhelm von Rosenberg (no. 3) and his third wife Anna Maria von Rosenberg, neé von Baden (no. 2) are the most significant from the historical point of view and the most valuable from the artistic point of view. Five other tombstones are placed on the outside of this building (no. 8 - 12). Three tombstones (no. 13 - 15) are set in the wall of the Kaplanka building (Horní No. 159) Within the area of the former Minorite Monastery in Český Krumlov we can see one tombstone inside of the church (no. 16), eleven tombstones in a cloister (no. 17 - 27) - now there is a depository of the District Museum of National History in Český Krumlov. Another three tombstones are set in the protecting wall of this Museum on its inner side facing the court yard of the Museum (no. 28 - 30).

It was quite easy to identify time of their origin because most of them (except no. 1 and 18) contain the year of death of the person whose the particular tombstone is. Twelve of the tombstones are from the 16th century, six of them from the 17th century, eight from the 18th century and four of them from the 19th century.

The builders of most of the tombstones are anonymous. We know the authors of the pictures and texts of only four of the newest ones (the beginning of the 19th century): no. 26 and 27 - Matyáš Sonneberger from Vyšší Brod, no. 25 - Antonín Hat., no. 30 - Josef Malinský.

The tombstones are mostly made of granite (14 of them), marble (9 of them), limestone (6 of them) and one is made of sandstone.

Only the tombstones that were found are included in a description itself, the rest of them will be mentioned in the end of this paper. The described tombstones are ordered according to the place of their occurrence, and in case of more tombstones founded on one place they are ordered chronologically according to the time they were made. All details of each tombstone are written according to the latest requirements for the description of epigraphical monuments.

St. Vitus church - interiors

  1. 1570's, white and red marble. 190 cm height, 118 cm width.

    A panel made of a white marble is in a red marble frame, a relief picture of a priest on his knees and an Evangelist John in front of the crucified Christ is on the panel. An coat-of-arms is a cloth hanging down a kneeling desk: a horn with a sickle from which a cross grows is on the coat-of-arms. An extension made of white marble with a relief portrait of head of a man on (probably Cetl) above the upper part of the frame. A legend in two lines is on a lower part of the frame: majuscule, height of the letters - 1.5 - 2 cm: Georgivs Zetel netolicen. Canonic' Ecclae prage. archidia / con' bechinen. Paroch' crvmnovien.

    The tombstone is set in the wall on the right side under the choir. Jiří Netolický, known as Cetl, a priest in Český Krumlov, a canon of Prague, an archdean of Bechyně (vicar), died 22 May, 1577.

     Church of St. Vitus in Český Krumlov, tombstone of Wilhelm von Rosenberg at the entrance to the chapel of St. Jan Nepomuk

  2. 1580's-90's, red marble. 206 cm height, 100 cm width.

    An oval of height 100 cm and width 67 cm is in the central part of a stone panel. A relief coat-of-arms of counts of Baden in a laurel wreath on this oval. The relief band without any legend is above and under the coat-of-arms. A legend is along all four margins of stone: majuscule, height of the letters 3 - 3,5 cm: anna maria marchionissa badensis / comes in sponhaim etc_ Philiberti marchionis badensis comitis in sponhaim: Dvcis / bavariae alberti sororis filia_gvilielmi / vrsini rosensis conivx obiit trebonae anno M. D. C. ViiC. die xxv. aprilis.

    The tombstone is set in a wall next to entrance to the St. Jan Nepomucký chapel. Originally it was part of a large tombstone that was made in the 1590's on request of Peter Wok von Rosenberg after the death of Wilhelm von Rosenberg (he died in 1592). After quite a long eventful ordeal the tombstone was taken disassembled in 1785. At that time the tombstones of Wilhelm von Rosenberg and Anna Maria von Rosenberg, neé von Baden were placed into the presbytery floor, but they were moved again in 1848 to their present location. Anna Maria von Rosenberg, neé von Baden, the third wife of Wilhelm von Rosenberg died 25 April, 1583 in Třeboň.

     Church of St. Vitus in Český Krumlov, tombstone of Anna Marie von Rosenberg, geb. von Baden at the entrance to the chapel of St. Jan Nepomuk

  3. 1590's, red marble. 207 cm height, 98 cm width.

    An oval of height 97 cm is in the central part of a stone panel. The relief Rosenbergs´ coat-of-arms with Order of the Golden Fleece is on this oval and the relief band without any legend is above and under the coat-of-arms. A legend is along all four margins of stone: majuscule, height of the letters 2.5 - 3.5 cm: Gvilielmvs vrsinvs domvs rosenbergicae gvbernator. Avrei velleris eqves, D. D: IMPP: Ferdinand I. Et / Maximiliano II. a consiliis nostro rodolpho / etiam ab arcanis, svpremvs regni bohemiae bvrggravivs etc: pragae prid. cal. sept. M. D. X. CII. aetatis svae anno / LVII. Vita fvnctvs. cvivs anima deo vivat.

    The tombstone is set in a wall next to the entrance to the St. Jan Nepomucký chapel. Its fortune was the same as in the case of the tombstone no. 2. Wilhelm von Rosenberg died on 31 August, 1592 in Prague.

  4. 1730's, limestone. 75 cm height, 44 cm width.

    The entire panel is covered with a legend in ten lines: majuscule, height of the letters 3 - 4 cm. The first five lines is damaged very much, so they are indecipherable. The text written in square brackets was taken from the Mareš manuscript: anno 1733 / den 28. may ist / verschiden / ...liis will / helmus prae / seines alters / in sibenten / iahr gott ge / be ihm die ewi / ge ruhe.

    The tombstone is set in the floor under the stairs leading to the prelate´s oratory. Originally it was probably on a cemetery of St. Martin.

  5. 1730-40's, granite. 91 cm height, 53 cm width.

    The whole panel is covered with a legend (chronogram) in nine lines: majuscule, height of the smaller letters is 3 cm, height of the larger is 5 cm (these letters are underlined in the text because they indicate Roman numerals telling the year of death): Hier rvhet / theresia fran. for- / tinin die in iahr / 1694 gebohren / 1738. 28 aprilis in / cromav selig ge / storben gott / gebe ihr evvige / rvhe

    The tombstone is set in the floor under the stairs leading to the prelate´s oratory. Originally it was probably on a cemetery of St. Martin.

  6. 1740's, granite. 179 cm height, 89 cm width.

    The entire panel is covered with a legend in seven lines: majuscule, height of the letters is 6 - 11 cm. A little knight's crown is above the first line, and a skull with crossed bones is above the second to last line: hier liget / die / arme sndetin / eleonora. / bittet fur sie. / obijt die 5. maji / A. 1741.

    The tombstone is set in the floor of the St. Jan Nepomucký chapel. Underneath this tombstone in a crypt the remains of Eleonora Amálie zu Schwarzenberg, neé Lobkovic, a wife of Adam Franz zu Schwarzenberg, are placed.

  7. 1745, black marble. 128 cm height, 111 cm width.

    The whole panel is covered with a legend in nine lines: majuscule, height of the letters is 6 - 9.5 cm :

    corda. hic. condita. / adami. et eleonorae. conj. / principvm. de. schwarzenberg. / crvmlovi. dvcvm. / iosephvs. / parentibvs. optimis. / pietatis. filialis. / m. p. / a. mdccxlv

    The stone panel in set in a wall of the St. Jan Nepomucký chapel. Behind this panel is a niche and here the hearts of some members of the Schwarzenbergs in the special vases are placed. The first of them were on the panel mentioned Eleonora Amálie (she died in 1741) and her husband Adam Franz (he died in 1732).

St. Vitus church - outer walls

     Church of St. Vitus in Český Krumlov, tombstone of stonemason Michal Rubik and his family
  1. The beginning of the 16th century, red marble. 163 cm height, 80 cm width.

    A quarterfoil of height 56 cm and width 54 cm is engraved on the lower part of a panel and four unknown stone labels are in this quarterfoil. The largest of these labels is signed MR, and this could mean the signature of Michal Rubik who could be the tombstone cutter.. A legend in seven lines is on the upper part of the panel: majuscule, height of the letters is 6cm: hie. ligen. dy. erber. mo / ene. michel. rvbik sta / ynmecz. margaretha / vnd katrherina. symon / cristof. girzik. den / got. genadt. ien. allen / anno. dni. m ccccc. xviii.

    The tombstone is situated in a niche on the left side of an entrance to the church. It is supposed that this tombstone comes from an old church cemetery that was replaced in 1585. After it was taken away from its place of origin its further fortune was unknown. It appears again in evidence from 1892 pointing out its artistic and historical value. Then it was probably placed by the north wall of the church and was there exposed to adverse weather. In 1934 the National Trust moved it to its present location.

  2. The middle of the 16th century, red marble. 203 cm height, 99 cm width.

    An oval plate of height 76 cm and width 92 cm is situated on the lower part of the panel. A coat-of-arms with a unicorn is in this part. The coat-of-arms is damaged quite a lot. A legend in seven lines is on the upper part: minuscule, height of capitals is 8 cm, height of letters is 6 cm: Egregius vir dns. Joannes / Streiller generosoru dominoru / Rossenbergensiu in negoty ger- / manicis secretarius et questor / obyt 23 augusty Anno salutis / humane 1549 cui qia requiescat / in dno

    The tombstone is situated in a niche on the right side of the entrance to the church. It is supposed that this tombstone comes from the old church cemetery that was replaced in 1585.

  3. The beginning of the 16th century, red marble. 176 cm height, 86 cm width.

    An oval plate of height 67 cm and width 76 cm is situated on the lower part of the panel. A coat-of-arms with a jumping deer is in this part. The coat-of-arms is damaged quite a lot. A legend in eight lines is on the upper part: minuscule, height of capitals is 9 cm, height of letters is 5 cm: Anno. 1560. Im Smbs: / tags vor gots Auffarts tag. / Starb der Edl und Vest Gerg / Strahotinsky von Strahotin / des Wolgebornen herrn herrn / von Rosnberg seiner gnaden ge: / wesner Camerer Dem got der / herr genedig sein welle.

    The tombstone is situated in a niche on the right side of the entrance to the church. It is supposed that this tombstone comes from the old church cemetery that was replaced in 1585.

    Jiří Strachotínský, chamber scribe of the Rosenbergs, died on 18th May, 1560 in Český Krumlov.

     Church of St. Vitus in Český Krumlov, tombstone of Apolonie Lautová and her daughters Elizabeth

  4. Around 1600, granite. 162 cm height, 99 cm width.

    The main part of the stone panel was covered with a coat-of-arms of height 107 cm and width 85 cm. But it was damaged so much that we are not able to describe and specify it. A legend in eleven lines is along the outer margins of the stone: majuscule, height of letters is 4 cm. The third line is damaged so much that it is indecipherable. The text written in square brackets was taken from the Mareš manuscript: In. iar. nach. der. gebvrt. christi. / iesv. m. d. xcix. den. vii. tag. mai. ist. in gott. / dem heiland christiklich / entschlaffen. vnd rvhet. alhie. + / + die ehrenreiche. vnd. / tvgentha. ffte. fraw / apolonia. lawttin. sambt. / ihrer. tochter. elisabeth / denen. gott. eine. froliche / avfferstehvng. verleyhen / wolle. amen.

    The tombstone is situated in a niche on the right side of the entrance to the church. Because the cemetery by the St. Vitus church was replaced when Apolena Lautová died (1585) it is supposed that the tombstone comes from the St. Martin cemetery.

  5. 1609, granite. 185 cm height, 80 cm width.

    An oval of height 107 cm and width 59 cm with a coat-of-arms decorated with a flower and ended with a cross is situated on the upper part of the stone panel. The year 1609 is above the coat-of-arms. A legend in eight lines is on the lower part: majuscule, height of letters is 5 cm. The last two lines are damaged. The text written in square brackets was taken from the Mareš manuscript: alhie ligt begraben / die ehrentvgentsambe / fraw verena ninderthai / min sambt ihren dreven / hawswirten deren see / len got genedig vnd ba / rmhercz ig seye a men ge / storben den december

    The tombstone was put in a wall above the Vltava river. This tombstone was discovered in 1903 in the ground before the south portal of the St. Vitus church. At that time they unearthed and cleaned it and they immured it in a small sacristy of the mention church according to Mareš´s notes to a list of monuments of Český Krumlov.

Kaplanka - outer walls

     Horní no. 159, Kaplanka, tombstone of baker Matyáš Planckl

  1. The second half of the 16th century, granite. 167 cm height, 75 cm width.

    The main part of the stone plate is covered with a relief half-bodied bearded man about 114 cm tall holding a coat-of-arms of guilt of beakers in his hands: the relief is worn. A legend is along the margins of the stone, above the relief and under it: majuscule, height of letters is 4 cm. The parts of the legend are damaged on three places. The text written in square brackets was taken from the Mareš manuscript: anno domini 15 / die obiit in dno prvdens atq providvs vir matt / hais planckl civis hv / ivs civitatis cvivs animae devs omnipotes misereatvr / anno domini 15 / den tag ist in got vershiden der ers ame vnd / weyse herr math / es planckl bvrger alhie zv behmiscen krvm / aw dem got de / all - mec / htig - ein f / roli - che / avfferstevn / g verleihen / wolle.

    The tombstone comes from the old cemetery by the St. Vitus church. When the cemetery was removed the tombstone remained in the ground somewhere by the church. At the end of the 19th century a town council of that time unearthed it and placed it in the outer walls of the curate´s room near the entrance. Neither day nor year of Matěj Plankl´s death is written, only the first two numbers of the year, so we suppose that he ordered to cut this tombstone during his life and when he died nobody added the year of his death. We have an evidence that this man, a member of the town council, still lived in 1570, he was old and ill and he died in the 1570's.

  2. 1570's, granite. 175 cm height, 73.5 cm width.

    The main part of the stone plate is covered with a relief of a woman who is 138 tall, holding a book in her hands: the relief is quite damaged. A legend is along the margins: majuscule, height of letters is 4 cm, part of the legend is damaged. The text written in square brackets was taken from the Mareš manuscript: ........... net vr / ............... mini 157 3 septebris obiit in domino honesta ato casta / virgo a nesca. m / atthiae plnkl hvi' cvitat, concivi.

    Horní no. 159, Kaplanka, tombstone of Jetřich Slatinský from Slatinka  Horní no. 159, Kaplanka, tombstone of daghter of baker Matyáš Planckl - Anežka

    The tombstone met the same fortune as tombstone no. 13.

  3. 1590's, granite. 173 cm height, 93 cm width.

    A relief of a coat-of-arms of Slatinský from Slatinka - a star above a half-moon - is in an oval of height 67 cm and width 76 cm on the lower part of the stone panel. A legend in twelve lines is on the upper part of the plate: majuscule, height of letters is 8 cm: Leta 1.5.9.1. tvto / gest pochowan vro: / zeney wladyka pan / getrzich slatin: / skey z slatinky slaw: / neho domv rozm: / berskeho slvzieb: / nik a niekdy heyt / man na krvmlowie / szieskem. 12 mies / ice - pras / yn - ce.

    The tombstone was discovered together with a grave of Jětřich Slatinský from Slatinka in 1886 during a demolition of the covered stairs by the St. Vitus church. Thanks to the Czechs from Český Krumlov and National Trust the tombstone was not demolished but was preserved and put in the outer walls of the curate´s room near the entrance.

The Holy Body Church by the former minorite monastery

  1. 1680's, red marble. 47 cm height, 35,5 cm width.

    A coat-of-arms - three stars above a wheel - is on the upper part of a stone plate. A legend in six lines is on the lower part: majuscule, height of letters in 1.5 cm: hier rvhet in gott / herr ioannes fran / ciscvs von clavsen / bvrg so a. 1681 den 15 jvny / alter 29. iohr ent / schlafen ist

The former minorite monastery - cloister

  1. 1560's, granite. 163 cm height, 74 cm width.

    A coat-of-arms - an upside-down equilateral triangle - is on the lower half of a stone plate. A legend is on the upper half around the coat-of-arms: majuscule, height of letters is 7 - 8 cm: nach. cristi. vn / sers. herrn gebv / rt 1. 5. 6. 1. iar. a / m. svnabent. n / ach. ostern. ist / der. edle. erntv / este henrich zedlic / z. von. siben / eych in got worschiden.

    The tombstone is set in a wall. It probably was originally laid in the pavement of the cloister.

  2. The end of the 16th century, granite. 155 cm height, 91 cm width.

    Two coat-of-arms are situated on the lower half of a stone plate. The coat-of-arms of Antonín Michal from Ebbersbach (archangel Michael running a dragon through with a lance) is on the right heraldic side, the coat-of-arms of his wife Marie, maiden name Weistaubová, (a dove holding a spring in its bill) is on the left heraldic side. A legend in ten lines is written on the upper half of the plate. The beginning of it begins along of all four margins of the stone: majuscule, height of letters in 5.5 - 6 cm: magister anthonivs / michael ab eberspach placide in chro / obdormivit ao ___________ die / __________ qvem secvta est maria weistavbiana / vxor eivs dilectissima ao __________ / die _______ cvm pisnoribvs chri / stophero ferdinando gwili / elmo dorothea vrsvla ac / catharina maria pie ex hac / vita ao ______ die _____ discedes / svb hoc saxo exvvias recon / didit animas vero omnium / aeternaliter victvras / vnitae triadi remisit.

    The tombstone was discovered on 24 March, 1949 during a reconstruction of a cloister of the minorite monastery, lying face down under the pavement. Today it is set in a wall near the place it was found. The fact that the dates of death of the mentioned persons are missing and there are the gaps to be filled leads to the assumption that the tombstone was made before those people died. The only evidence about the death of Master Michal from Ebersbasch was written by Václav Březan: "1593 ....... 15 May.... This famous swindler master, prisoner on the castle in Český Krumlov, pegged out."

  3. Around 1600, red marble. 65 cm height, 52 cm width.

    A legend in seven lines is on the entire stone plate: majuscule, height of letters is 3.5 - 4 cm: Conditvs svb / hoc marmorvlo / nestor marcvs / a bavorowa aeta / tis svae hebdo / madar. xi. et diei / iii. anno dni mdc.

    The tombstone is put in a wall. It was probably originally in the pavement of the cloister.

    It is possible that the tombstone indicates a little son of the Rosenbergs´ secretary Václav Matěj from Bavorov.

  4. 1660's, granite. 77 cm height, 65 cm width.

    The main part of a stone plate is covered with a coat-of-arms: a quartered coat-of-arms, in the right upper corner and the left lower corner is a jumping lion, in the left upper corner and the right lower corner a knight is raised on a crenellation with an unsheathed sword in his right hand. Under the coat-of-arms is written 1664. Above the coat-of-arms on the right heraldic side are the letters: V. W. B. P. (height of them is 4 - 5 cm).

    The tombstone is set in a wall. Originally it probably was laid in a pavement of the cloister.

  5. 1690's, limestone. 79 cm height, 53 cm width.

    A label of height 38 cm with a trumpet is on the lower part of a stone plate. A legend in ten lines is written on the upper part of the stone plate: minuscule, height of capitals is 5 cm and height of letters is 3 cm: Hie ligt der Edle v. Kunst / Christian Schmidt. furstl. / egg. Hoff. V. Feld. Tromp / eter v. Brger hier, welcher den / 24 NOV. 1691 in Gott enschlafen. / wans meinem Gott wird gf / allen, Soll mein Trompeten / schallen mein Gott zu ehren, / Sein lob zu mehren. Gib Gott / behand dich mir mein End.

    The tombstone is set in a wall. Originally it probably was laid in a pavement of the cloister.

    Kristián Schmidt was a trumpet-player at the court of Johann Christian I. von Eggenberg.

  6. 1730's, granite. 174 cm height, 80 cm width.

    A legend in fourteen lines is on the whole stone plate: majuscule, height of letters is 5 - 6 cm: A skull with crossed bones is under the legend. A part of the text is so damaged that it is indecipherable. The text written in square brackets was taken from the Mareš manuscript: heir ruhet der wohledle / herr Jacob franz krch / welc her in seinen leben / zween herzogen zu / srunau 54 iahr treu / lich gedienet. das wai / senapmt aufrichtig / verwaltet und im 69 / iahr seines alters / den 30. may 1732 in den / herrn seeling / entschlaffen / des abgelebten seele / in dein gebett befehle.

    The tombstone is set in a wall. Originally it probably was laid in a pavement of the cloister. Jakub František Krch, a clerk in the service of Johann Christian I. von Eggenberg, Marie Ernestine von Eggenberg, Adam Franz zu Schwarzenberg and in the end administrator of a trustee office in Český Krumlov.

  7. 1740-50's, granite. 145 cm height, 69 cm width.

    A legend in fifteen lines is written on the whole stone plate: majuscule, height of letters is 4.5 - 6 cm, a cross is above the legend: hier ruhet der wohl / edle und gestrenge / herr johann michael / schhimid hoch first / Schwarzenbergisch / gewester waisen / schreiber alhier / in crummau so / in 57 iahr seines / alters in dem herrn / verschieden / den 9. december / 1749 / gott gebe ihme die / ewige ruehe.

    The tombstone is set in a wall. Originally it probably was laid in a pavement of the cloister. Jan Michal Schmid, a trustee scribe in Český Krumlov, son-in-law of J. F. Krch (tombstone no. 22).

  8. 1750's, granite. 145 cm height, 73 cm width.

    A legend in thirteen lines is on the whole stone plate: majuscule, height of letters is 4 - 6 cm: A cross is above the legend: wie du anjetzo bist / war ich vorhin auf / erden / nach kurtzer lebens / frist / wirst du meins gleiche / werden / die hier liget / maria barbara / schmidin / gebohrne krchin / den 26. martii 1753 / im 44. iahr.

    The tombstone is put in a wall. Originally it probably laid in a pavement of the cloister.

    Marie Barbora Schmidová, maiden name Krchová, was a daughter of J. F. Krch (tombstone no. 22) and a wife of J. M. Schmid (tombstone no. 23).

District Museum of National History in Český Krumlov - a depository is in the cloister of the former minorite monastery

  1. Around 1810. Antonín Hatl. White limestone. 41.5 cm height, 41.5 cm width.

    The main part of a stone plate is covered with an engraving of an allegorical mourning scenery. On the right heraldic side is a legend in eighteen lines: italics, height of letters is 1 - 1.5 cm: Sanft / ruhen deine gebeine / gutte mutter / in der erde khlen schoos. / errungen / hast du das ziel zu welchen dich / der schpfer in diese Welt rief. / du warst / gattin, freundin, Wohlthaterin, / mutter. / diess deine lorbern / dein siegeskranz / im rastvollen kampfe weiblicher tu: / genden errungen. / wanderer, der du die sttte vorbei / wallst, wenn ein leises wehen / deine wangen umsaufelt / dnake der edlen.

    A legend in four lines is along the lower margin of the plate: italics, height of letters is 1 - 1.5 cm: Hier liegt die frau magdalena diblin, burgerl. Weissgerbermei: / sterin alt 49 jahre gestorben den 27. decmber 1890. / Vater und kinder weihen ihr der unvergisslichen mutter / diess damkmaal. The accession number of District Museum of Natianl History in Český Krumlov is 1167 / 85. The tombstone comes probably from the St. Martin cemetery that had already been removed.

  2. Around 1816. Matyáš Sonnberger. White limestone. 60.5 cm height, 60 cm width.

    The main part of the stone plate is covered with an engraving of an allegorical mourning scenery. A legend in six lines is written on one of the architectonic decorations on the left heraldic side of the stone plate: italics, height of letters is 0.5 - 1 cm: hier ruhet der herr anton / wurzinger gewesener / stadtbraumeister / gestorben den 8ten de / cemb. 815 im 70ten jahre / seines alters.

    The legend in ten lines is written on another of the architectonic decorations on the right heraldic side of the stone plate: italics, height of letters is 0.5 - 1 cm, the legend is partly damaged and is indecipherable: Sanft ruhet hier clara wurzinger / .............. / am 19 ten Lebensjahr / und wird / von allen die sie kanten / betrauert / des kindlichen / gehorsams

    Along the lower margin of the stone plate is written the legend in eight lines: italics, height of letters is 1 - 2 cm: Dem dunklen schoos der heilgen erde nach des himmels rath: / noch kstlicheren saamen bergen / wir traurend in der erde schoos, / und hoffen, dass er aus den sargen erblhen zum schnern loos. / schiller.

    The accession number of District Museum of National History in Český Krumlov is 105 / 57. The tombstone comes probably from the St. Martin cemetery that had already been removed.

     Tombstone of Josef Schreiner from Roseneck on the courtyard of Regional Museum of National History in Český Krumlov

  3. Around 1820. Matyáš Sonnberger. White limestone. 81 cm height, 48 cm width.

    The main part of the stone plate is covered with an engraving of an allegorical mourning scenery with a figure of a woman. A legend in fourteen lines is written on the left heraldic side of the stone plate: italics, height of letters is 2 cm: Hier ruhet joseph stumfoll / brgl. Stadtmllermeister zu / krumau, gestor: an 14 ten jahre seines alters / wenn einst in meinem grabe / aus dieser finstern nacht / ich durchgeschlumert habe / erwekt mich jesu macht / heil euch ihr drf nich beben / beym anblick meiner gruft. / wir werden leben / wenn uns einst jesu ruft / gattin, kinder, und / freunde segen dank: / voll seine asche!

    The accession number of District Museum of National History in Český Krumlov is 103 / 57. The tombstone comes probably from the St. Martin cemetery that had already been removed.

District Museum of Natiobal History - protecting wall next to the building

  1. 1630's, limestone. 101 cm height, 80 cm width.

    In the central part of a stone panel is a plate (37 cm of height and width) with a coat-of-arms - on three hills is a bear walking left, holding three flowers in its paws. A relief is in the right heraldic upper corner: winged ball, a heart in a wreath, blindfolded Amour. Along the upper part of the stone plate is written a legend in two lines: majuscule, height of letters is 2 - 3 cm: Mein gveth vnd hab / ist gottes gab:

    In the central part of the stone plate is a legend written in three lines on a band: majiscule, height of letters is 2 - 3 cm, on the sides of the band is the year 1630: zwar glickh hadt neyt / was mich er freith / verdriest die leith

    Along the lower part of the plate in a legend written in four lines: majuscule, height of letters is 2 cm: Rm: kayss': hoffkiener vnd graff': / bvoqvoishen herrschaffeten rosenberg. / gratzen. vnd. libigitz' oberhavbrman / joseph schreiner von rosenegg avff berlesdorff

    The tombstone has its origin in Rožmberk nad Vltavou. Josef Schreiner from Roseneck, originally a head of an inland revenue office on the Rožmberk nad Vltavou castle. In 1626 - 1630 he was a head captain over the Buquoys estates in all of Bohemia.

  2. 1740's, granite. 142 cm height, 68 cm width.

    A legend written in fourteen lines on the whole stone plate: majuscule, height of letters is 4 - 6 cm. A part of the text is so damaged that it is indecipherable. The text written in square brackets was taken from the Mareš manuscript: alh ier r uhet die wohl edle un d tu gendreiche f rau / dorothea sch ulist / tin geweste furst / schwarzen berg / rentschreibe r / in crumau welch / a. 1742 den 19...tv in gott seeli g / entsclaffen d / es alter 42 iahr / gott verleuhe ihr / die ewige ruhe

    The tombstone comes from a cloister of the minorite monastery, it was put in a wall at the beginning of the 1980's.

    Dorota Schulistová was a wife of an inland revenue scribe in Český Krumlov, who became later a burgrave also in Český Krumlov, Matyáš Antonín Schulista.

     Tombstone of school director Johann Michael Wank on the courtyard of Regional Museum of National History in Český Krumlov

  3. Around 1816, limestone. 78 cm height, 54 cm width.

    The main part of the stone plate is covered with a relief of height of 56 cm and width of 50 cm, picturing a figure of a sitting man surrounded by four young men. A legend written in five lines is in the lower part of the plate: italics, height of letters is 1.5 - 2.5 cm. The last line is indecipherable. The text written in square brackets was taken from the Mareš manuscript: Hier ruhet der kinderfreund / herr joh. michael wanke / weltpriester und schuldirektor zu krumau / gestorben am 19. april 1816 / im 61. jahre seines ruhmvollen lebens

    The tombstone comes from the St. Martin cemetery that had already been removed.

(ak)

 



© Sdružení Oficiálního informačního systému Český Krumlov, 1999
Number of visitors this page since 13th November 1998 : TOPlist 0

Česká verzeDeutsche fassung